Saturday, January 19, 2013
Wanna work at TNA? It's GUT CHECK time!! (Oh and WWE has a camp.)
Wanna have a chance at a chance at a chance of working at TNA iMpact Wrestling, alongside your childhood favorites, such as Hulk Hogan, Sting and RVD? Then this is the blog for YOU! (Maybe?)
Last year, TNA introduced a fun concept called Open Fight Night. It's a once a month "anything goes" type of show on iMpact, where anybody who wants a match can have one with little argument.
As part of Open Fight night, we're treated to a sub-series called "Gut Check". Each week, one lucky Indy star will be allowed to have a match in the ring. At first it was only against already established members of the TNA roster, but this month, they upped the ante a little bit by having TWO Indy wrestlers fight each other.
Now the process for getting onto Gut Check is not quite as simple as it appears on television. Here's how the whole thing works:
1. You apply online (link and additional info below) and send in your match videos, photo, trainer's name and the names of every place you've ever wrestled in your entire career. You will need to have at least a GED, High School Diploma or regular college degree in order to make it. No drop-outs or trade school graduates allowed. You will also need to provide them with your current non-wrestling occupation and a list of other sports you have played. (Payment is also sent, more below.)
2. You wait and see if anybody calls you back. If they do, you head out on your dime to the Gut Check seminar closest to you. Bring your best gear as you may end up wrestling here and perhaps at a house show or two, again on your dime.
3. IF they like what they see, in a few months, you may be added to an online poll. Get your fans to vote for you. NOTE: Your REAL NAME will be posted on the site, instead of your ring name.
4. IF they are pleased with the results, you may receive a phone call. Pack your bags and head on out to the next TNA Impact Wrestling taping.
5. Wrestle whomever you're in the ring with like this is the best night of your life. If you're allowed mic time, cut the best promo of your life, don't choke and hope and pray the equipment works okay and that the crowd follows you.
6. Go home until next week. You will need to fly back out for the next show. Yes, on your dime.
6 a. Unless they pre-tape a few episodes in advance, in which case, sit down & wait to be called.
7. The judges will now call you into the ring. If the "yes" vote is not unanimous, you will be asked to cut a "kick-out" promo. Cut the best damn "this is why I belong here" promo of your life in under 30 seconds.
8. If not approved, go home. If approved, you will be sent to OVW, until someone can think of something. Waiting time is anywhere from one week to 6 months, depending upon how well you do being re-trained at OVW.
Sound simple? Well here is the application if you want to make it onto Gut Check.
However, please be advised of the two fees involved:
There is a $20 non-refundable application fee that must be paid when you submit your application. If you are accepted into Gut Check, you will be notified via email no later than 7 days prior to the event. At that time, you will be required to pay the remaining balance due ($230) and sign the liability waiver as well as a media release.
UPDATE: And it seems WWE is already holding their own "Gut Check" too. Their last major TNA-alike camp was in October. Here is the leftover information from that, along with a link to the current application:
Annual WWE Clinic - Tryouts
THIS CAMP IS SOLD OUT AND WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
WHEN: September 28 - October 1, 2012 (Like I said, scroll down for the next application.)
WHERE: Tampa Arena
4535 S. Dale Mabry Hwy. Tampa, Fl 33611
Ricky Steamboat Norman Smiley
A minimum of 1 WWE contract to be awarded
Send Resume along with deposit of $500 to:
4535 S. Dale Mabry Hwy.
Tampa, Fl 33611
4400 W. Cypress St. Tampa, Fl
(813) 873-8675 Tahitian Inn
601 S. Dale Mabry Hwy. Tampa, Fl
Current link via NXT is right here. They are no longer taking applicants under 18 and the list of requirements are on the page.
Only in the top two wrestling companies do you have to pay for a chance at a job.
When it comes to retail, food, secret shopper, doctor, dentist and any other job, you are advised not to pay ANYBODY for the "right" to work. Google it.