Tuesday, October 30, 2012

This is how NOT to talk to me about wrestling.



This is a usual conversation:

Me: I do not like _______________. I feel __________ and ___________ could both be better used.

Speaker: Well let me tell YOU aaaaaall about the business, little lady. ___________ is making MILLIONS okay?? He's a millionaire doing this. He makes more money than ANY of those little Indy guys you keep following.

Me: That's nice. I don't care. I do not like _______________. I feel __________ and ___________ could both be better used.

Speaker: Well c'mon, it's all about the business!!

Me: The business that keeps tanking? The business that just lost more ratings just last week? I feel that with the slump in said "business" that I'm not the only one who does not like _______________. I feel __________ and ___________ could both be better used.

Speaker: Well "TCH ugh" You just don't understand ANYTHING! Little Lady, _________ and _________ are earning really good money. You think they don't know? They are SO playing you. They're earning millions.

Me: That's nice. I don't care. I do not like _______________. I feel __________ and ___________ could both be better used.

Speaker: Well all the INDYYYYY shows you go to are just matches where people jump off of stuff and flop around.

Me: You never saw AAW.

Speaker: Well duh NO!! Because ALLL the Indy places are JUST LIKE the rinky-dink, podunk place I got to in somebody's backyard. DUH.

Me: So you've never seen AAW.

Speaker: NO I don't need to.

(This is now one hour of me pestering the speaker to see at least one photo from an AAW show. I then pester him/her into watching at least one 30 second clip of it, without bitching like a little girl about business this and "Double-Double-Eee" that. I chose AAW because they are in indoor promotion with REAL wrestlers and actual talents people have heard of. It's really hard to call Scott Steiner "backyard" but go ahead and try it some time. Assuming you live through the night, post a comment and tell me how it went, Ok?)

Speaker: ........ UGH.

Me: Now do you see why I like the Indies? I'm not paying for someone to bitch at me about "the business". If I wanted to hear that crap, I'd stand next to a water cooler at Staples.

Speaker: Well... you just don't get it, OKAY??? it's all about making MONEY. They're not your friends, it's all about MONEY. They're about making MONEY. That's why ________ was in the story he was in on Monday.

Me: If this was about money, ____________ would have been booked better. I do not like _______________. I feel __________ and ___________ could both be better used.

Speaker: Well... what would you have ______ do then, instead of ________???

Me: I would have booked ________ and _________ in a wrestling match. It would have lasted 10-20 minutes, would have had a simple finish and would have set things up for the PPV.

Speaker: Oh yeah right like people care about flip flops or Dean Malenko grapples. Wise up little lady! This is the REAL world. And in the REEEEAL world, people pay to see business. It's all about business!!

Me: Really? Then why are the PPV buyrates, TV ratings and merchandise sales all in the toilet?

Speaker: .............................................. Well ALL of wrestling is DYING. So why do you care? UGH!! Just sit back and enjoy it already!!

Me: No. I do not like _______________. I feel __________ and ___________ could both be better used.

This is a real conversation that I have had with too many people.

Ironically? The people who want to tell me how "the business" works... have never once worked in the company (WWE) that they keep defending.

No comments:

Post a Comment