Monday, August 27, 2012

Somebody that I used to know

Have you ever heard a song, sang along to it in secret because you don’t want anybody in the world knowing you know the lyrics… only to figure out later that these are lyrics you really shouldn’t be singing ever? Well for many, this is one of those stories.

I caught my mother earlier talking a friend of hers out of the 12th marathon in a row of the song “Somebody that I used to know” by GOTYE. Now I’m not proud of this, but I do know all of the words, only I never really though about them until just a bit ago. And if you’re sleep deprived or upset, I’ll admit it’s slightly catchy. That plinking, Little Tykes piano in the background can catch you off guard, lulling you into a false sense of “oh what a nice song” when really, something more sinister is afoot.

So let me just break down the song a bit, so we can get to the bottom of this hit, which by the way now has a Kids Bop version. I want you to keep that last part in mind.

"Somebody That I Used To Know" feat. Kimbra

[Gotye:] (The man parts, sung in a style reminiscent of Peter Gabriel)

Now and then I think of when we were together

Like when you said you felt so happy you could die

Told myself that you were right for me

But felt so lonely in your company

But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness

Like resignation to the end, always the end

So when we found that we could not make sense

Well you said that we would still be friends

But I'll admit that I was glad it was over

(Okay so right here, we have a dude who I’ll guess felt invisible, even next to this woman, and the two just realized they really weren’t compatible. Alright then..)

But you didn't have to cut me off (Ah… what?)

Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing

And I don't even need your love

But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough

(WOAH I’m sorry, time-out here!! You just said you were glad your relationship with this woman was over, and that being with her at all made no sense to either of you. So why the hell are you suddenly flipping this to her abandoning you? Where did that come from??)

No you didn't have to stoop so low (How is this stooping low? YOU DUMPED HER!! Of course she’s going to move on, you ditz!)

Have your friends collect your records and then change your number (How long have you been stalking her if she felt she had to change her number and send someone to collect her… wait did you say records? I hope for your sake you mean the vinyl round things that produce music and not like… medical, dental or financial records. Because if that’s the case, then you need to check and see if her friends are wearing badges, because if so.. those aren’t her “friends” you’re talking to, that’s the police.)

I guess that I don't need that though (Yeah, you DON’T need the records of a woman YOU DUMPED)

Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Now you're just somebody that I used to know

[Kimbra:] (The lady parts, sung in a style reminiscent of “I’ve been crying but not really and by the way I’m willowy and waifish and I’ll scream three words like a teen mad at her dad”)

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over (Oh this doesn’t sound good.)

But had me believing it was always something that I'd done (So…. The man in the song has a nasty habit of spin-doctoring every problem into being someone else’s fault, and he’s not mature enough to take responsibility. Uh-oh.)

But I don't wanna live that way (And why would you want to?)

Reading into every word you say

You said that you could let it go (Yeah, he’s BAD at that.)

And I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used to know

[Gotye:]

But you didn't have to cut me off (SHE DIDN’T!! You dumped her!!)

Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing (But YOU said you were glad it was over!!)

And I don't even need your love (So why are you kvetching??)

But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough (Well can you blame her? You couldn’t wait to dump her, then you blamed her for every issue you’ve had since!)

No you didn't have to stoop so low (Her?? Ah… who’s the one singing about her again??)

Have your friends collect your records and then change your number

I guess that I don't need that though (More like she doesn’t need YOUR drama.)

Now you're just somebody that I used to know

[x2]

Somebody

(I used to know)

Somebody

(Now you're just somebody that I used to know)

(I used to know)

(That I used to know)

(I used to know)

Somebody

Now if you couple these severe creep lyrics with the actual video, which both singers are naked, wearing paint and standing in front of a really hideous painting:

You have a recipe for total disaster.

If this was a real-life couple, you can bet that a sequel song would include a restraining order, an arrest and then a psychiatric evaluation for the man involved. As for the woman? Oh you know she’d first send the story to some female magazine, and then the magazine would sell the story to one of those smarmy, man-hating production companies, and this would become the Lifetime story of the week. I can see it now.

“He told her he was glad it was over…”

Man: I’m glad it’s over.

“But was it?”

Man: You didn’t have to stoop so low!!
Woman: *Sobs* I didn’t DO anything!!

Keanu Reeves and Amy Jo Johnson star in a Lifetime original movie…..

“Somebody that I used to know.”

I will say this again, there’s a Kids Bop version now??


1 comment:

  1. Nothing to say i have nothing to say so i'll let the great Picard do it for me

    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

    ReplyDelete