Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Not fuckin' funny, Dorothy! Twitter better than news stations?

As I type this out, I am checking the reports, frantically. A tornado touched down and then dissipated over Calumet City. A second tornado has been spotted over East Chicago. I am between both towns and my sky looks rather icky. O_O;

The tornado sirens just stopped, and I am lucky *Touch wood* enough to say that the initial tornado watch is ending. However I am under flood warning, as my area has had plenty of severe storms off and on for 7 days now, with another 7 days of stay-yo-ass-inside ahead of me.

And as I type, my moron neighbors are shooting off guns and fireworks. I suppose it's part of the tradition. The sky turns sepia, a random 12 year old screams for Auntie Em, and we have to blow our own faces off. And it's POURING outside with hail, despite the 80+ degree weather, and there's another tornado warning.

You may be shocked to read that this ISN'T the problem I am blogging about.

The problem? I'm learning all about the tornadoes via Twitter. Not even via links to important news sites, but via diligent micro-bloggers across the United States.

Why am I not reading the news from a more reputable source? Why is my television screen currently devoid of CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC and WGN?

The answer dear readers, is because Twitter is more reliable.

CBS at the time of the horrid news was too busy playing Entertainment Tonight. Apparently grave sites of the rich and living impaired is much too important to interrupt over a silly old tornado.

NBC is playing Access Hollywood. Well excuse me very much for wanting them to stop the press release on Toddlers n' Tiaras. I did not realize the grip of babies dressed like hoochie mamas had on our nation.

ABC is playing a reality show. WGN is playing a re-run of Family Guy.

FOX is playing a re-run of the American version of The Office. Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize that the bastardization of an old, BBC near-comedy took precedence over Chicago land based funnel clouds.

And what of major news channels, CNN and Headline News? Why they're too busy discussing whether or not Casey Anthony is misunderstood and just needs a hug after murdering her daughter in cold blood.

They're also trying to figure out if a man should be impeached over showing the world his male anatomy via Twit Pic. Oh noooooo, please don't look into whether or not the man raised or lowered taxes, fed the poor or mapped out plans for better schools. No, we Americans elect people based on what they do with their personal lives. So please do go on about Wiener's Wiener.

And as you slowly discover that ALL politicians NOT named Obama, need to be fired because they're ALL cheating on their spouses, I'll be setting up shop in the hallway. You know, the one place in the house away from windows and built to withstand a cave-in.

This to me screams what is wrong with society in general. Our "News" channels are failing us. Our newspapers are dying, and all because the "powers that be" only care about what's popular.

Right now, my brother is frantically waiting for the next update from Twitter, to see if he needs to seek shelter, or just keep a flashlight handy. Shouldn't the NEWS stations handle his concerns? How did we come to this?

For as much as the old people of America LOVE to blame technology for the downfall of society, it's the things they looked to most when they were my age that are truly the culprits. Through our news stations, we're telling the public that it's perfectly OK to follow the lives of total strangers, simply because they're famous. It's OK for a man with a camera to stalk a random stranger, should she appear on the front of a blog or a tabloid. It's "cool" to devote long hours of television to overplayed re-runs and celebrity drama, but it's "not cool" to cover news stories that mean something to the "little people". You know, the 90% of us NOT in the paper.

I'm deeply concerned by this. And you should be too! It was not very long ago that these local and news stations would have dropped everything for a weather report like this. Now, unless high school sports are involved, good luck getting these stations to cover anything not coated in make-up.

But maybe this is evolution?

Think about it. If (for example) a robbery occurs in your home town, the local news might not get the full story on television for at least another 5 hours. The newspaper? 24 hours at best. By this time, the police may have caught the villain, and then it's not worth noting anymore. At least not by their standards.

Whereas a passerby might report the story on Twitter ~ AS IT HAPPENS ~ and may even have a video up on YouTube or Dailymotion in 15 minutes.

We are now at a point where a 10 year old with her mother's cell phone is twice as reliable as the reporters and over-comercialized stations that fed me the news growing up.

So here we are then. The notion that your local news stations will deliver you real people news in a timely fashion, is now an antiquated one.

And now thanks to Twitter, I can tell my brother that the tornado warning was just cancelled for our area. Just as ABC 7 is about to realize that MAYBE... there was rain today.

No comments:

Post a Comment